With the new year approaching I’m getting quite excited by the saddest of things….starting a new diary. This year I bought a great new diary from Toad Diaries, its great because it has exactly the layout I want, a weeks diary on one page and a whole page for my weekly to do list on the other side. Sadly I was not a fan of the fuchsia cover when it arrived so a pretty fabric cover was called for.
So new year, new diary, new diary cover! This is a really simple how to sew your own fabric book cover. After this tutorial you will be whipping up your very own, one of a kind, fabric covers for books, diaries and notebooks in no time at all.
A selection of fat quarters I used:
Sevenberry Light Pink Ticking
Tilda Sweet Christmas Mini Star Red
Tilda Corner Shop Aurora Teal
Tilda Sweet Christmas Martine Warm Grey
Tilda Sweet Christmas Jane Pink
Tilda Sweet Christmas Laura Warm Grey
Grey Polka Dot Lace Bias Binding
1. Firstly measure your book top to bottom and from front cover to back cover (Tip: always measure your book when closed rather than open flat). My diary measured 13.5 inch by 8.5 inch. Add 1/2 inch seam allowance.
2. Cut a piece of fabric measuring 14 inch by 9 inch, this will be the fabric for the inside of the cover.
3. Cut two pieces of fabric measuring 6 3/4 inch by 9 inch. These will form the flaps of the book cover (e.g. the pieces of fabric that you put your book inside to hold your cover in place). Fold each piece in half, right sides out and iron. I decided to make this a bit pretty so I sewed a piece of crochet lace bias binding from the top to bottom on the folded side. Repeat with the other piece and set aside.
4. Now to make the outside diary cover. If you want to keep it really simple you can simply cut a piece of fabric measuring 14 inch by 9 inch. I fancied more of a patchwork look to my diary so I gathered together some scraps of fabric and created the following design
The left side will be the back cover of the diary, the middle will cover the spine and the right hand side will be the front cover. All these measurements include a seam allowance of 1/4 inch.
5. Sew the front cover pieces together and then sew to the spine.
6. Sew the six back pieces together and then sew to the spine
7. Iron those seams nice and flat. Now place the front cover right side up. Place the bias binding flaps right side down with the bias binding towards the centre.
8. Place the inside cover right side down on top and pin all the way around
9. Sew all the way around leaving a 2 inch gap at the bottom in the middle.
10. Snip the corners off and turn the cover the right side out through the two inch opening you left unsewn.
11. Now either stitch up the gap or cheat like me and iron on a piece of bondaweb to hold it closed and you are finished!
Happy sewing and a very happy new year!